Our beautiful garden is situated on one of the last remnant sand dunes that survived from the last inter-glacial period. Some of the large trees include the ancient Ribbonwood (Eroschinus falcata) and Tuckeroo (Cupaniopsis anarcardiodes) and several protected Quinine Trees (Petalostigma pubescens). These are some of the only remains of the littoral rain forest that was found among the dunes and mangroves that once stretched along our coast!
Today, our volunteer gardeners maintain the various sections on the Museum site, including but not limited to: the cottage garden, the Wallum Heath (these plants thrive on nutrient-poor, acidic sandy soil), Littoral Rainforest, Banksia Woodland, an Aboriginal Bush-tucker trail, as well as feature and screen gardens.
The museum site was originally part of an Aboriginal gathering place with evidence of Middens (refuse piles containing shells and bones) indicating that Aboriginal people camped nearby. Aboriginal artifacts found on site and nearby are on display!
In later years, when the Bundall sugar mill was in operation between 1872 and 1888, the site also became a cemetery for pioneer families, and European graves remain on site.